You’ve finally met someone you’re interested in. But maybe you’re feeling shy. Maybe you are reluctant to make a move. Maybe you’re concerned about coming on too strong.
Not to worry. Here are subtle yet strategic ways to convey your interest. Read this list before your next date, just as a little reminder!
- Smile. It sounds so simple—so simple, in fact, that you might forget to do it. Nothing conveys enjoyment and desire as clearly as a genuine smile.
- Hold your glance. Catching the other person’s eye—and holding it for just a moment—is a sure way to say, “I’m intrigued by you.”
- Respond soon. If you receive a text, email, or phone message, reply promptly. Delaying too long might be interpreted as ambivalence.
- Exude enthusiasm. There may be a time to play it cool—but not if you want to communicate interest.
- Make eye contact. When you talk with the other person, look him/her squarely in the eyes. Since eyes are the windows to the soul, they will reveal your attraction.
- Laugh. Playfulness and joking create an instant connection between two people like few other things. Let your sense of humor shine through.
- Give a genuine compliment. Whether subtle (“You look nice tonight”) or forthright (“You are so good-looking!”), your affirming words will surely strike a positive chord.
- Perform a random act of kindness. Even the smallest gesture will make a big impression.
- Use a simple touch. Physical contact–touching the person’s hand or shoulder—is one of the surest ways to communicate your attraction.
- Ask questions. Show interest by inquiring about your potential partner’s life, going deeper than superficial topics.
- Listen closely. There is great power in the practice of paying focused attention to what another person says.
- Be fully present. Focusing totally on the person you’re with is a sure way to demonstrate your interest.
- Say, “Tell me more.” Digging deeper with engaging questions will communicate that your attention is more than good manners.
- Mention something unique about the person. When you notice something about him/her that isn’t obvious to the world, it says you’re interested enough in them to discover important details.
- Just say it! If all else fails, summon your courage and declare your interest in getting to know the person. Sure, it takes courage and may feel risky—but everything in life worth achieving does.